Tuesday, January 12, 2010

In the car...

I don't listen to the radio in my car. It is a habit I picked up from Jon. Radio stations are too annoying - they play the same stuff, and have the same (loud) commercials, blah, blah, blah. So, I think. Random thoughts. Today I thought about spelling and words. OOOOHHH, fascinating I know. You can be excused now if you think you might just pee yourself with excitement. But, that's what I do. I thought about how I am really starting to like the author Gregory Maguire, you know, he's the guy that wrote Wicked, The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, and how he uses such fancy vocabulary I have to read his books with a dictionary. It's been a long time since I've needed to do that. Anyhoo, I also somehow thought about phonetic spelling, and how come phonetic is not a word you can really spell phonetically? Fuh-ne-tik. That's how it should be spelled right? Isn't that what phonetic means, that you spell something how it sounds?


Also, I have become very attuned to the particular whines, wheezes and purrs my truck makes. Which is a good thing cause then I'll know when something is off with it, but it's a bad thing too, cause then I think I hypocondriatize my truck. (yep, just made that word up - what's up now Gregory Maguire?)


So, what do you do while driving? I mean besides the obvious, like actually driving, watching out for snow birds, real birds, other traffic, deer that hide and wait until you are right next to them then JUMP OUT to surprise you. Are you a radio listener? Or more high-falutin with your iPod/mp3 player? Silence like me?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not big on the radio either, I used to be before I moved to a place that got very little radio reception and now I'm out of the habit - and when I do tune in, I find it annoying.

    Sometimes I listen to my mp3 player and sometimes I just think in silence, it just depends.

    If the kids are with me, we play "I'm thinking of an animal."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do various things in the car... sometimes I get into a radio mode, which helps me to know what some of the new songs are. Other times I prefer CDs. There are times, too, when I have out-loud conversations with people who are not there. The wierd thing is that half the time I don't realize I'm doing it until I'm halfway through the conversation or I've made myself angry, and then I look around and wonder what I'm angry with, and I have to laugh at myself. :) I'm a nut.

    Thanks for the book recomendation... I'll have to see if the library here has it.

    Also- I would absolutely love to see you when you come up! Tons of fun. For sure, let me know when you come. Do you still have my number? (Oh- just FYI, we don't have texting anymore, but call me for sure!)

    ReplyDelete